by Niki Kourofsky
Two Blue-Line buildings are among the most recent nominees for the State and National Registers of Historic Places: in Warren County, Lake George’s Delaware & Hudson Passenger Station; and, in Essex County, Upper Jay’s Keith & Branch Ford Motors Factory & Showroom.
The familiar Mediterranean Revival–style railroad station on Beach Road, with its stucco walls, clay-tiled roof and statue-clad tower, was built around 1911 as a companion piece to the Fort William Henry Hotel. Both were owned and operated by Delaware & Hudson, an outfit that once rode the Adirondack tourist trade straight to boom town. The station closed in 1958; these days you can buy a freight-car’s worth of tchotchkes at at its counters, now the Lake George Steamboat Company’s Steamboat Station Gift Shop.
Up in Upper Jay, the boxy gray behemoth at the corner of Route 9N and Springfield Road is “a rare and early example of automobile-related architecture in the Adirondack region,” according to the New York State Board for Historic Preservation. The place also operated as a pine-seed factory and auction house; its modern scene combines upholstery and backwoods hipster nightlife. Read more about the building’s history and its latest quirky incarnation in “Cover Boys,” from our August 2003 issue, and “In Recovery,” from October 2008.
Tags: Delaware & Hudson Lake George Passenger Station, Keith & Branch Ford Motors Factory, National Regsiter of Historic Places, Recovery Lounge, State Register of Historic Places, Upper Jay Art Center, Upper Jay Upholstery