Adirondack Life works with freelance photographers on every issue. Most images are stock; some are assigned. Assignments generally go to photographers we’ve worked with previously. We accept any size format transparencies or black-and-white prints. All images must be taken in the Adirondack Park. Ideas for photo essays and photo features are welcome.
- Photos must have been taken inside the borders of the Adirondack Park. Click here to see a map
- Photos can be submitted as slides or in digital format on CD Rom.
- Slides must be labeled with your name and the location of the scene. Please include self-addressed, stamped envelope for returns.
- Duplicate transparencies must be labeled as such. If you have images that have already been published in Adirondack Life, please do not resubmit them.
DIGITAL PHOTO GUIDELINES:
- We can accept Photoshop, tiff, jpeg, or raw files on CD
- Digital photos must be shot at high resolution. (for example: a 1/4 page photo must be 800 pixels by 1000 pixels). Do NOT enlarge files from the original file size.
- Digital images for cover consideration must be at least 3400 x 2600 pixels in dimension.
- Please do NOT crop, color-correct or sharpen images before sending them
- If possible, please include good color or B&W proofs. Proofs can be thumbnails or full size. Please include a list of locations for each image.
NEEDED FOR EVERY ISSUE:
- Table of contents
- Seasonal events forthe In&Out section
- Our Towns
*Please note that we work on issues 3 to 4 months in advance of the current season.
We are looking for beautiful and unusual Adirondack landscapes. Generally without people, except for the summer Annual Guide issue. Medium (2 1/4″) and Large format (4″ x 5″) vertical photos are preferable. If possible, digital photos should be 9″x11″ at 300dpi. Please keep in mind that we need some open space (or solid color) at the top of the image for the logo and cover lines.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
We are looking for interesting, seasonal macro (close-up) shots – rocks, leaves, bark, water, ice, etc.
Payment prices and schedule
- Up to 1/4 page – $75
- 1/4 page to 3/4 page – $100
- More than 3/4 page but less than full bleed – $125
- Full-page bleed – $150
- Table of contents – $150
- Cover – $400
- Dept photo – $100
- Small dept – $75
- Northern Lights – $75
- Our Towns – $150
Adirondack Life pays contributors 30-60 days after publication of stock photos.
Assignments are paid within 30-60 days of receiving an invoice.
Assignments are paid $250 per day; plus expenses (unless other arrangements have been specified).
Yearly wall calendar:
- Cover – $400
- Inside images – $300
Submission deadline: contact art director Kelly Hofschneider at email@example.com (horizontal scenics, almost always medium format and bigger)
|Magazine Submission Deadlines|
|Submission Due DateOctober 15
General Needs For Each Issue
Cover: We generally select the best seasonal image available. Close-up details or beautiful vistas of the Adirondacks, wildlife and people are all considered.
Table of Contents: We use a close-up detail shot for this page. The edges must be very sharp because they frame the page. Seasonal outdoor images are generally the theme.
Calendar of Events: Every issue has two or more images of events occurring during that two-month publication period. Outdoor events, festivals, indoor events, concerts, seasonal related images, people recreating, etc. are all considered for this page. Four-color transparencies or black-and-white images are acceptable.
Photo Feature or Essay: Every issue has a seasonal photo feature or essay. These images should represent the season at hand in the Adirondacks. They are usually four-color images, generally scenics. However, people and places or black-and-white seasonal images are also considered. We encourage interesting and obscure places and scenes, off the beaten path, as well as the classic shots.